Last Revised: January 1, 2017
Social Media Privacy
Kaplan will not require you to:
- Disclose a user name or password for accessing personal social media;
- Access personal social media in the presence of Kaplan’s employees or representatives; or
- Divulge any personal social media information.
Collection of Personal Information You Provide. We may collect and store personal information that can identify you, such as your name, postal address, email address (“Personal Information“), when voluntarily submitted by our visitors. We may collect and store any personal information you provide to us that may be contained in any video, comment, or other submission you upload or post to the Site. This might also include telephone number; your likeness; and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date, or other financial information). If sensitive information is collected, we will take appropriate efforts to comply with industry standards for the protection and proper disposal of all sensitive data, both online and offline. We also may request information about your interests and activities, your gender and age, and other demographic information.
When you provide personal information to us, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
Personal Information From Other Sources. We may also periodically obtain personal information about you from other Kaplan businesses, business partners, contractors, and other third parties. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and additional demographic information.
Collection. We use various technologies to collect information from your computer and about your use of the Site.
Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our Site. This information includes, but is not limited to, your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us (see “Cookies” below), and the referring website address.
Cookies. When you visit our Site, we may assign your computer one or more cookies, to facilitate access to our Site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our Site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our Site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our Site.
Other Technologies. Like many websites, we may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons, site tags, clear GIFs, and other similar technologies, to collect and maintain information about your web-surfing activity when you are visiting this Site, other Kaplan sites, as well as other non-Kaplan sites. We also may include web beacons or pixels in advertisements and promotional e-mail messages to determine whether advertising or messages have been acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our website visitors to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming, or other activities.
Do Not Track Practices. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, Kaplan currently does not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
- Communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone, and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, other Kaplan companies, or other third parties;
- Develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Site and other sites;
- Verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
- Enforce our terms and conditions; and
- Manage our business and perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases, subscriptions or sales made on our Site, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Sharing with Third Parties
We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Authorized Service Providers: We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, delivering packages, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Business Partners: When you make purchases, reservations, or engage in promotions offered through our Site or our services, we may share personal information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests, and/or sweepstakes. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant’s offer or program, you authorize us to provide your email address and other information to that merchant.
- Other Kaplan Businesses: We may share information we collect, including personal information, with the Kaplan companies. Sharing information with our Kaplan companies enables us to provide you with information about a variety of products and services that might interest you.
- Other Situations:
- We also may disclose your information in response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us, in our sole discretion. When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of Kaplan, its users, employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties and other Kaplan companies to develop and deliver targeted advertising on our websites and on websites of third parties. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers, and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis.
Your Ability to Choose
You can let us know, upfront and at no cost, that you do not wish us to share your information with third parties for marketing purposes or to notify you about our own products and services and special offers by sending us a written request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line.
Links to Third-Party Websites
We may provide areas on our Site where you can post information about yourself and others and communicate with others; upload content (e.g., pictures, videos, audio files, etc.); and post comments or reviews of content found on the Site. In addition, such postings may appear on other websites or when searches are executed on the subject of your posting. Also, whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information on publicly-viewable web pages, that information will be publicly available and can be collected and used by others. For example, if you post your email address, you may receive unsolicited messages. We cannot control who reads your posting or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post, so we encourage you to exercise discretion and caution with respect to your personal information. Once you have posted information, you may not be able to edit or delete such information.
Our website is a general audience site, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Should we learn that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete that information from our database.
Visiting Our Site from Outside the United States
No Rights of Third Parties
Questions About Data Collection and Processing
You may ask questions about the data you have submitted through the Site by using the information below to contact us.
How to Contact Us
We care about protecting the security of your personal information, and we have implemented security procedures to protect the personal information that you provide to us. However, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure, and we cannot guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used, or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this policy.
Review and Correction
You may review and update the personal information you have provided to us by contacting us at email@example.com or by writing to:
Kaplan Professional Education
Attn: Legal Department
332 Front Street S.
La Crosse, WI 54601